Gingerbread House Competition and Display
The gingerbread houses on display will delight you!! Join us for a walk through a village of gingerbread houses from Friday afternoon through Sunday afternoon at the Woman’s Club of St. Michaels on St. Mary’s Square. No admission is charged. Many of the creations are available for sale to take home and to share with family and friends. Houses are first available during the Gingerbread House Preview Cocktail Party. Proceeds from the sale of these houses support the beneficiaries of Christmas in St. Michaels.
As a special treat this year we are featuring an Old Fashioned Christmas Village Display with 3 trains – O gauge, Lionel and MTH.
The entries are divided into six categories with cash prizes awarded in each:
- Master (chefs, caterers and anyone who chooses) – $500 1st Prize
- Adult (19+) – $250 1st Prize, $150 2nd Prize, $100 3rd Prize
- Young Adult (13-18) – $100 1st Prize
- Children (12 and under) – $100 1st Prize
- Adult with Child (12 and under) – $100 1st Prize
- Kits: Children (12 and under); Young Adult (13-18); Adult (19+) – $25 1st Prize in each age group
In addition to the above categories, a $100 cash prize will be awarded for the Candy Backus Award (Best Depiction of the Eastern Shore) and $50 for the Peoples’ Choice Award.
|REGISTRATION AND DROP-OFF
A registration packet will be provided to each entrant upon house delivery
|When:||Saturday, Dec. 6, 2014, 10am - 1 pm|
|Where:||Woman's Club of St. Michaels, St. Mary's Square|
Checks and awards will be given to the winners at 2pm on Sunday afternoon (12/14/14) of Christmas in St. Michaels weekend, at the Woman’s Club of St. Michaels on St. Mary’s Square.
|Friday||Dec. 12, 2014||Noon - 3pm|
|Saturday||Dec. 13, 2014||9am - 5pm|
|Sunday||Dec. 14, 2014||10am - 3pm|
CREATE A GINGERBREAD HOUSE
For those of you who might need inspiration to get started creating your gingerbread house, check out all the photographs of houses on this page. Or come to a Gingerbread Demonstration on Saturday, October 11, 2014, at the St. Michaels Library. This will be the first session of their Saturday Series. If you need a recipe for the house or the icing, click on the Recipe Button below.
- To enter and register a gingerbread house, deliver it to the Woman’s Club of St. Michaels at St. Mary’s Square on Saturday, Dec. 6, 2014, from 10am – 1pm (the weekend before Christmas in St. Michaels).
- House walls and roof must be made of gingerbread. No graham crackers or cookies.
- All decorations must be edible. Candies wrapped in foil, cellophane or plastic must be free of the wrapper.
- Lights may NOT be used on entries.
- Completed houses must be secured to a base and be completely covered with an edible substance (e.g. icing). The edge of the board on which the house rests may be covered with ribbon.
- House base for Children’s Entries (12 and under) not to exceed 12″x12″.
- House base for Adult and Young Adult Entries not to exceed 18″x18″.
- House base for Master Entries not to exceed 24″x24″.
- Houses will be judged on creativity, design and overall appearance.