Gingerbread House Competition and Display
Gingerbread houses will delight you as Christmas in St. Michaels continues tradition with our annual Gingerbread House Competition and Display. Open to all, entries are divided into six categories with cash prizes awarded in each:
- Master (chefs, caterers and anyone who chooses) – $500 1st Prize
- Adult (19+) – $250 1st Prize, $150 2nd Prize, $100 3rd Prize
- Young Adult (13-18) – $100 1st Prize
- Children (12 and under) – $100 1st Prize
- Adult with Child (12 and under) – $100 1st Prize
- Kits: Children (12 and under); Adult (13+) – $25 1st Prize in each age group
In addition to the above categories, a cash prize of $50 each will be awarded for the Candy Backus Award (Best Depiction of the Eastern Shore) and the Peoples’ Choice Award.
ONE TIME REGISTRATION – AT DROP-OFF
|When:||Saturday, Dec. 7, 2013, 9am - 1 pm|
|Where:||Woman's Club of St. Michaels, St. Mary's Square|
A registration packet will be provided to each entrant upon house delivery
Checks and awards will be given to the winners at 2pm on Sunday afternoon of Christmas in St. Michaels weekend, at the Woman’s Club of St. Michaels on St. Mary’s Square.
Join us for a walk through a village of gingerbread houses from Friday afternoon through Sunday afternoon at the Woman’s Club of St. Michaels on St. Mary’s Square. No admission is charged. Some of the creations are available for sale to take home and share with family and friends. Houses are first available during the Gingerbread House Preview Cocktail Party. Proceeds from the sale of these houses go to support our Christmas in St. Michaels’ beneficiaries.
|Friday||Dec. 13, 2013||Noon - 3pm|
|Saturday||Dec. 14, 2013||9am - 5pm|
|Sunday||Dec. 15, 2013||10am - 3pm|
For those of you who might need inspiration to get started creating your gingerbread house, check out all the photographs of houses on this page. If you need a recipe for the house or the icing, click on the Recipe Button below.
Play by the rules:
- House registration will be completed at the time of delivery to the Woman’s Club of St. Michaels on Saturday, Dec. 7, 2013, from 9am – 1pm.
- House walls and roof must be made of gingerbread. No graham crackers or cookies.
- All decorations must be edible. Candies wrapped in foil, cellophane or plastic must be free of the wrapper.
- Lights may NOT be used on entries.
- Completed houses must be secured to a base and be completely covered with an edible substance (e.g. icing). The edge of the board on which the house rests may be covered with ribbon.
- House base for Children’s Entries (12 and under) not to exceed 12″x12″.
- House base for Adult and Young Adult Entries not to exceed 18″x18″.
- House base for Master Entries not to exceed 24″x24″.
- Entries must be delivered on Saturday, Dec. 7, 2013 (the weekend before Christmas in St. Michaels weekend), between 9am and 1pm, to the Woman’s Club of St. Michaels on St. Mary’s Square. Houses will be judged on design and general overall appearance. Judging will be held on Sunday, Dec. 8, 2013.
- The sale of any donated house will support our beneficiaries.
Photos throughout this website provided by Tidewater Camera Club and other contributing photographers.